Monday, September 15, 2008

The No-Hitter at Miller Park




The night started with batting practice Addyson playing in Bernie's Dugout
Posing with her favorite sausage
Acting really enthused in the giant baseball mitt
So happy to be sitting with mommy

We were so excited to be at another Cubs game so close to home!

Grandma Rose and Grandpa Pat joined us to cheer on the Cubbies!
Soriano started it all off with a homer

Addyson cheering for SorianoHe did it! Zambrano threw a no-hitter!Unbelievable!

It was definitely a night that we will never forget. All weekend we were bored with no Cubs games being played due to Hurricane Ike. We patiently waited for MLB to announce where they might play outside of Houston and really hoped for Miller Park so that we could go to the game. Thanks to my sister and her watching the news, I was made aware of the venue change to Milwaukee and I got online instantly and got our tickets. We were lucky enough to be directly behind home plate and was really just hoping for a win. Never in our imagination did we think that Zambrano could pitch a no-hitter....with Houston being the hottest team in baseball and Zambrano coming off rotator cuff inflammation, it was not a thought in anyone's mind! Tim mentioned it in the 4th inning, I believe, but really I think he was kidding at the time, but as we watched the game in the later innings with a couple of our friends, we realized that maybe this night would be something special. The fans were on cloud nine going into the bottom of the 9th inning and with every pitch, the fans stood with bated breath. (Let's Go Cubs! Let's Go Cubs! was yelled between the first two batters.) When Zambrano was working on the final out, and the count got to 3-2, we all lost it when Darin Erstad swung at a pitch in the dirt....HE DID IT! He threw a NO-HITTER! It is a once in a lifetime event to be seen...and I owe it all to my love of the Cubs! This season seems to be magical. I hope they do it this year. (I believe! It's Gonna Happen!) No more silly curses...Let's just play ball!



No comments: